Re: Having a killer resume

Subject: Re: Having a killer resume
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:57:30 -0700

janine -dot- bland -at- marsh -dot- com wrote:

As someone who also looks at a lot of tech writer resumes, I can tell you
I cannot stand seeing an objective at the top of a resume. Your objective
is getting the job you are applying for.

I used to think the same way.However, recently I've heard it argued that the point of an objective is to give a concise summary of why the company should hire you.

That makes sense to me. You want to start a short story or a news release with a hook that makes readers want to keep reading, so why not a resume? If you sound promising in the Objective, then maybe there's more chance that the hiring manager will actually read your resume, instead of just scanning it. In other words,the psychology seems sound to me.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"And it takes a stranger to understand,
What the wind says in a strange land,
And the wind says, "This year, next year ..."
-OysterBand

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com