RE: Big bucks in tech writing

Subject: RE: Big bucks in tech writing
From: "Korth, Deanna" <deanna -dot- korth -at- dmpinc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:39:51 -0500

Bruce Byfield asked:

"How many people are content with being a technical writer? Do people see
themselves as being tech-writers for the rest of their working lives? Or do
they hope to move into another field or into management? If they do plan to
move away from technical writing, what do they plan to do next? Ultimately?"

Andrew Plato wrote:

"Which I suppose ultimately comes down to priorities. What is important to
you? Comfort? Money? Fame?"

I lurk; this is my first post.

I became a tech. writer a couple years ago because I divorced, and I had two
small children to take care of and a mortgage for a house that I didn't want
to give up. After being a stay-at-home mom for five years, I used my alimony
to complete my bachelor's degree. I told my advisor that I wanted to major
in English, and that I needed a decent income when I graduated, and he
steered me toward technical writing. The college that I attended didn't have
a tech. writing degree, so I earned a bachelor's degree from the college of
Arts and Sciences with a concentration in writing and linguistics. I got the
first job I interviewed for.

I want to be content with technical writing, but I find it a little
soul-numbing; I want something more meaningful. My job is great in that it
pays well, and I have great flexibility. I come and go on my own schedule
and work from home when my kids aren't in school. My manager gives me an
assignment, and I set my own deadline.

I don't have any ambition to rise in the corporate structure, but the
incompetence of the other writer (we're a two-writer shop) and the freedom
from micromanagement that I love have me thinking that someone needs to
drive this bus. I rewrite documents that the other writer has failed to
research thoroughly or has not written following the standards and
conventions established before either of us arrived in this department. Our
manager is aware of these problems, but there is so much work and not enough
writers. Bad documentation seems better to management than no documentation
at all.

In a perfect world, I would be a landscape designer with lots of time to
spend with my family. (There's not a college nearby that offers a degree in
horticulture, and moving is not worth the dream.)

In a better world than this, I would work with quality writers and produce
quality documentation without the stress of so much yet to write.

My priorities? Emotional and financial comfort. How to achieve them? I'll
let you know when I find out.

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com