RE: These users have us stumped!

Subject: RE: These users have us stumped!
From: "Smith, Martin" <martin -dot- smith -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:32:04 -0600

John asks:
>>Does anyone have any experience or ideas about writing a
>>non-technical user's guide for the totally clueless?
and added that the users "can't understand the on-line help..."

How about designing the user interface to provide embedded help? One nice
thing about the interaction between Internet Explorer and the Windows
operating system is that you can embed Internet Explorer's Active X control
into your application to display embedded help. Because events in Explorer
bubble up, you can pass events from Explorer's Active X control to your
application and thus provide bi-directional interaction between the
application and the embedded help system.

Take a look at Microsoft Money, which I think does a good job of providing
embedded help for those totally clueless about how to use accounting
software.

Good luck,

Martin R. Smith
Encorp, Inc.

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com