Re: Best practice: Text flows in Frame templates

Subject: Re: Best practice: Text flows in Frame templates
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:10:50 +0100

Using master pages is definitely a smart thing to do. But there are potential problems with unconnected text frames, and you will have to expirement to make sure they don't bite you. For example, if you use an unconnected-flow master page in the middle of the document, the other text will just flow around it, which will make it difficult to keep that special page in the proper relation with the other text. On the other hand, Maker 7 has a capability to tie a master page to a specific pgf format - you could use such a pgf format as a sort of identifier, and include a connected text frame that has room for just that paragraph - as the text flows, that pgf will look for the master page and keep things in line. (You will have to experiment with this approach.)
I would also look into using text insets - get the forms and turn them into specifically named text files, then import the text files. You cpould do this for a special master page, or in other ways. It might help...

Another option would be to use anchored frames - I have a freeware product called RefIcons that could automate this, and I think Silicon Praries has a shareware product to automate it, too. The idea is, you have an anchored frame that is set up with the necessary text frames in it. You also have a special pgf format for holding the aframe anchor. You put these into your document (using page breaks if needed), then put the special text into the anchored frame. The automation tools store a copy of the anchored frame and then insert it on command. Otherwise, you can keep the anchored frame on a ref page of your template and copy/paste.

Hope this helps - without seeing your actual problem it's hard to be specific. These are just different ideas.

Question:
Since we want everything standard, including the size and placement of text
frames that appear on body pages, is it proper to tag the flow on the master
page, and turn off autoconnect, in order to have the correct text frame
placement and size appear on the body page? Will this cause problems later on
that I just don't see yet? I realize that this is not the way text flows in
Frame are intended for use, so can anyone suggest another method of
standardizing all of this nit picky stuff with out copying a text frame from
the master and pasting it onto the body?

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com