RE: The best solution...?

Subject: RE: The best solution...?
From: Chris Gooch <chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:42:32 -0000

Valarie wrote:

+++
Hi there! I work at a large state university, and help prepare documents
for our users (the 25,000 or so students who range from freshmen to
post-graduate and professional).
We've been told to switch to a mostly online format by
Summer 2003.
+++

Getting rid of TeX might have been a mistake. Free
cross platform software that can produce good looking
print, PDF or html by processing plain text files
that can be stored in a database, seperation of
style/look-and-feel from content, easy to set
up scripts to manage production and upload to
web sites... all the good things that the xml
community are rabbiting on about now, as though
they invented it, and ideal for a university
I would have thought (it's free! it's supported!)

If you think TeX is just some clunky thing you
saw on an old unix box which was little better
than nroff then check out "The LaTeX Web Companion"
by Goossens and Rahtz:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201433117/qid=1035891157/sr=8
-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-5361404-9544739?v=glance&n=507846

Anyway I'm swimming against the tide I expect, so
my other advice would be to check out xml and
DocBook. If you're serious about setting up a
knowledge base you should read up on the subject
at any rate.

cheers,
Chris,

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com