Re: The best solution...?

Subject: Re: The best solution...?
From: Valerie Priester <hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:42:23 -0500

--On Monday, October 28, 2002 4:45 PM -0800 Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

"Valerie Priester" <> wrote...

Is there a better idea that I'm missing?

Yeah...how do you read on-line documents on how to connect your PC to a
network when your not connected to the network?

That would involve their looking at the docs on the free CD we give them at orientation that also contains around 20 pieces of software that they might need, including anti-virus software and VPN software. There are also plans to continue to print the network docs for those who want them in that format. In addition, there are several hundred computers sitting around campus with both network access and a printer. Any of these solutions would answer your question.

off your wireless connections before the hackers completely 0wn you.

The students use a Cisco VPN client to connect to the wireless access points, and we haven't had any problems. Our percentage of printed documents used has been dropping steadily over the past few years, with a corresponding increase in the number of hits to the online documentation. The online stuff is available 24/7, can be printed out right in their rooms or wherever they are if they do want it printed, can be referenced online instead of printing it, and they don't have to track it down in a lab. It's a convenience issue for them (if you've ever worked with college students, you soon realize that convenience is something they want), and it's easier to keep up to date, even with the existing PDF files.

This sounds like a classic case of using a Lexus to do a Hyundai's job.

If you gave me a Lexus (FREE), and I'd been using a Hyundai to drive to work, might I not be inclined to at least give it a test drive? But I'm so glad to hear you equate my job as requiring only simple tools, and being the Hyundai of the world of tech writing.

And for whoever asked why I'd consider using now when I didn't before, well, RoboHelp wasn't exactly in the budget. Having obtained it at no cost to myself or my employer, it's now an option, though not necessarily one I'm going to select.

Andrew Plato

Valerie Priester
hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com