RE: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: RE: STC Letter to the Editor
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:23:15 -0500

I don't see what's so hard to grasp.

It's the society for HOW technical info is communicated.
Very probably, it should have more discussion/instruction/whatever
about how technical info is learned/gathered, but the other
main thing that people in this list have in common is
that they each need to figure out how best to communicate
what they have learned. Supposedly, STC addresses that.
I occasionally crack one of their publications when it
arrives, and peek inside (if I can't find something I'd
rather be doing...), and I occasionally learn something
useful or interesting from them.

By the way, in your reference in another message in this
[becoming interminable] thread, you suggested that some of
the most valuable info you'd read had been found in a
plain, vanilla text file.

Fine.

Was that a text file that print out as a roughly
300-page manual?

Or, was that a text file with some last-minute or
quick-start "README" stuff, comprising perhaps 100 lines
or less?

When the info is so concise that it can be scanned in
one or three screensfull, it can usefully be presented
in a nekkid text file with minimal formatting (although,
for more than a few lines, I'd tend to at least put some
all-caps headings and some indentation in it, to make
reading easier....). When it's hundreds of pages of
explanation and sequential steps and provisos and warnings
and ... and... then it benefits from some of that page
layout and formatting stuff.

You know, visual cues, consistent handling of similar
or related elements, chunking? Heirarchy, to show
what's more important that what else, what's pre-
requisite to what else, what's optional, etc.?
Numbering and other little helpfulnesses like that?
Even, adhering to expected standards (like MIL and
other specs for data presentation).

Those are all presentation issues, and they can be
very important. In fact, they can be deal-breakers.

I must admit to fondling fonts, now and then. Every
year or two, the Marketing department asserts itself
and changes the look of our 'customer-directed documentation',
and that means that I am presented with a choice of:

1) make my docs look reasonably closely like the ones
that marketing creates, for the current/new product
line, or...

2) hand them over for the graphic-designer guy to
massage into that same compliance.

The trick is that I don't get to move the product
schedule ahead by a week or two, to give the graphic
guy the time to work his magic before the immovable
deadline. Therefore, I default to option 1. Go figure.
Fonts and layouts get fondled. Horrors.
If I don't already know how to do something, in that
vein, then I have to spend some time figuring it out.
Double-horrors! Not just font-fondling, but LEARNING
to font-fondle! Eeeek!

YMMV

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com