RE: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: RE: STC Letter to the Editor
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:11:43 -0500

And that's your idea of a suitable documentation
set for a new user, who is at the low end of
the intended/expected audience for a complex
product?

The guy who acuses others of oversimplifying
appears to have oversimplified just a wee tad...

We still provide README files on our CDs, but
their only purpose is to relate last-minute
glitches and workarounds that didn't make it into
the formal docs. That means, as often as not,
the README file is empty (or has place-holder
boiler-plate text), or is not there.

Around here, a README file is a bit of an admission
of failure. It's a "whoops!", a clean-up/butt-cover
device.

At the next release, or interim release, whatever
appeared in the last README gets fixed and incorporated.

Other people and companies do it differently?

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com