Clear procedures and warnings (or lack thereof)

Subject: Clear procedures and warnings (or lack thereof)
From: Richard Lippincott <richard -dot- lippincott -at- ae -dot- ge -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:59:48 -0500

This post isn't inspired by the recent thread about warnings, but rather a
magazine article I'm reading at this very moment. (Okay, technically I'm
typing at this very moment, but I was reading it a moment ago.)

I think most people on this list are aware that almost exactly a year ago,
on November 12, 2001, American Airlines flight 587 crashed in NYC, killing
265 people. The Airbus A300 encountered turbulence when it passed through
the wake of a Boeing 747. A very short time later, the vertical stabilizer
ripped off the Airbus. This left the airplane uncontrollable, and it crashed
into Jamaica Bay.

National Transportation Safety Board hearings were held last week. Quoting
from the report in "Aviation Week & Space Technology" (11/4 p. 51):

"The investigation so far has determined the tail came off due to massive
structural overload caused by motions of the rudder, and not a flaw in the
tail's structure. The point at which the tail broke was 29% beyond that
required by certification regulations. Airbus engineers estimate the tail
broke at 1.93 times the limit load, whereas it is only required to withstand
an ultimate load of 1.5 times limit load. In fact, during ground static
tests the tail broke at 1.93 times limit load."

Flight data recorder information suggests the rudder moved to extreme
positions because the pilot was quickly slamming the rudder pedals in an
effort to counter the wake turbulence from the 747. Testimony from other
pilots who have flown with the Flt 587 pilot indicate that in fact this was
something that this particular pilot had done in other aircraft. The
testimony also suggest the Flt 587 pilot believed this was an allowable
procedure. According to the article, a review of the training material
suggests that there's no specific prohibition against the maneuver.

In fact, quoting another paragraph on P. 47 of that same issue:

"Keeping in mind that until the...crash...most transport pilots were unaware
that rapid rudder reversals could cause the tail to rip off the aircraft,
the safety board zeroed in on why and how this crucial information, familiar
to flight test engineers and manufacturers, is not included in...training
programs."

And this is my assumption, but probably not in the flight manual either.

It's very possible that a couple of well-placed warnings in the
documentation may have been able to prevent this accident.

--Rick Lippincott
Lockheed Martin
Saugus, MA

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com