Hovery-type Help

Subject: Hovery-type Help
From: "Writer Whirler" <a_whirler -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 11:09:14 -0600

I am writing a user guide for an online trading system. This time around, they want some onscreen type help for some of the screens. We discussed a "What's This" type of thing, where you have to click on something on the screen (like a field name) to get a little pop-up window that describes what you need to enter into the field. We also discussed just a hover-type help, where the pop-up window appears if you hover the cursor over the field (no clicking needed.) The hover seems to be the most favored.

However, as I think about this, will be it annoying for the user (who may not want any explanation) to have windows popping up as they are trying to work? The windows may only pop up for a short time...I'm also unclear as to how long they stay, or how they close - does moving off the field close the window? This is a new thing for me, and I haven't talked to developement yet to see what is possible...There are going to be multiple instances on a screen.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of help? Is it a help or a hindrance? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

WW

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com