RE: In the Trenches, A Bit of Venting

Subject: RE: In the Trenches, A Bit of Venting
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:10:34 -0800

I have to agree with Andrew on this one, for more reasons than one.

First, as a contractor, you are in a tricky position. You were brought
in to write. Unless specifically asked by management to provide feedback
on the work atmosphere, processes, etc., then you will only cause
resentment by raising such issues. If Mr. MFA is not interfering in a
significant way with your ability to produce documents or with the
project schedule, then you should probably just leave well enough alone.
The results will speak for themselves. Which leads me to...

Second, leaving Mr. MFA alone to fuss over his processes is in no way
"making" him look like a moron. He is responsible for his own work, or
lack thereof--no one is making him not produce. I've been in this
situation, where I did all of the writing and the "lead" TW fussed over
processes and did heaven-knows-what in the next cube. The client manager
noticed who was producing documents. It was up to her to address. I
never said a word (until asked). I wrote.

Third, if MFA is bugging you to ponder processes instead of producing
prose, a first step might be to propose an alternative. Point out that
he seems to work really well with processes and such and that you really
are at your best when you're in the trenches. Suggest that by dividing
and conquering--with you addressing the short term need to crank out
content and him addressing longer term issues--you are meeting many
needs. Pulling you off to focus on processes that you are not really
vested in (you're a contractor) is maybe not the best use of your time.
Straightforward Carnegie "How to Win Friends" tactics.

Fourth, consider the political landscape. Can you find out where MFA
stands in the organization? Can you rattle some chains without everyone
thinking that you're causing trouble? This is not to suggest that you
should go behind his back and whisper negative things--no. But you have
to have a full grasp of the situation before you can exercise your
options.

Just my take late in the day.

Lisa

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com