Re: Anyone ever heard of this book or program]

Subject: Re: Anyone ever heard of this book or program]
From: Janet Murphy <janet -at- fuse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:24:34 -0500

Yes, you are missing something.

As a 1 person indie, my time is taken up w/ 1) marketing 2) obtaining contracts
3) doing the work as it comes in 4) following up w/clients to ensure their
satisfaction 5) tracking revenue -- making deposits of payments, performing
collections, etc. 6) monitoring expenses 7) purchasing equipment/software to be
competitive 8) taking classes to keep my skills current 9)whatever else needs to
be done to keep the business viable.

My time has an hourly rate. Paying someone else $420/yr is *well* worth the
billable hours [and sleep] I would lose if I had to handle payroll and payroll
taxes *on top of* all the other things I'm responsible for. The records of the
payroll service + accountant's records + my records have significant value in
keeping me out of trouble w/the IRS. It's a 3-way system of checks and balances,
if you want to look at it like that. The electronic records of the payroll
service are much less questioned by the IRS than any records that the accountant
or I keep.

To each his own, but using a payroll service is a sound business decision. Think
about it -- there is a reason why most businesses - big and small - outsource
payroll. Plus, the less I have to worry about taxes and banking, the more time
I have to work more billable hours.

Janet Murphy
cincinnati, OH

Russ Seligman wrote:

> >BEFORE I used the service, I had the taxes all screwed up. Then I
> remembered,
> >I'm a writer, not a tax person. So, I hired people to do those tasks
> for me.
>
> Perfectly reasonable. My contention is that the only person you need to
> hire is an accountant. Am I missing something? I personally don't see
> the benefit of paying $420/year for:
>
> >(1) to run my payroll, (2) take the $$ out of my business account, (3)
> pay the taxes,
> >(4) direct deposit my paycheck into my personal account, and (5) file a
> report w/my
> >accountant.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com