Converting Word Doc with Hyperlinks to Adobe PDF - newbie question

Subject: Converting Word Doc with Hyperlinks to Adobe PDF - newbie question
From: "Kelly Smith" <ksmith -at- triton -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:29:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,
I am editor of a company newsletter produced for our local branch. It is
created in Word, and we would like to distribute it as a PDF file. I have
beenable to create the PDF with no problem, but there are hyperlinks in the Word
doc that don't function after it's been converted.

To resolve this, I have tried printing the Word doc to Distiller, but when
I dothat, the resulting .pdf is blank. Well, not totally blank - some of the
graphicsshow up, and there are numbered and bulleted lists (just the numbers and
bullets, no words) - but for the most part, the document is blank.
(Although allthe pages are there.)

I am using a file produced in Word 2000, on a PC running Win 2000 Pro. I'm
using Adobe 5.0.

When I run the doc through Distiller, I don't get any error messages. The log
looks like it has run normally. But the document is still blank.

I have tried checking "print to file" and I've tried not checking it. I've
triedprinting to a generic PS printer instead of Distiller. (I downloaded the
driversfor that from the Adobe website.) I've tried printing it to Adobe Writer.

Instead of creating a .ps file, it creates a .prn file, but in reading the
help, itsays that format should work the same as a .ps.

If it weren't for the hyperlinks, this wouldn't even be an issue, but we have
links to online documents, links to e-mail addresses, and our TOC consists of
hyperlinks to headlines within the newsletter.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I'm trying to learn the
software on my own, so there is probably something wrong with the way I
have it configured.

Thanks!

Kelly Smith

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com