RE: The Burden of Screen Captures

Subject: RE: The Burden of Screen Captures
From: LDurway -at- pav -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:50:21 -0600

> 1. Is there an easier way to do this, one that I am
> overlooking? I can't
> imagine that Adobe or Microsoft or any other large software
> company have 10
> persons sitting in a room all day doing screen captures for
> their manuals,
> in 25 different languages?

I have two suggestions.

One=============
If you're a FrameMaker user, I assume you're using import-by-reference
rather than copy-into-document? It's easier to replace/update graphics then
because you don't have to mess with Frame at all (assuming the size of the
screen doesn't change). You just replace the file, and Frame picks it up
the next time you open the document.

Two============= (This works only if you import-by-reference)
Look into getting capture/replay software that will run your software and
grab the screen captures while you're at home in your sauna quaffing
aquavit. I asked our tester here, and she gave me a list. She's not
impressed by any of them, btw.

AutoTester Web (AutoTester, Inc.)
e-TESTER (RSW Software)
SilkTest (Segue Software, Inc.)
Rational Robot (Rational Software Corp.)
WinRunner (Mercury Interactive)
XRunner (Mercury Interactive)
TestRunner (Qronus Interactive)
QAHiperstation (Compuware)
QARun (Compuware)

I don't know which, if any, are appropriate for your needs. Some may be
language specific (motif, java, etc.)

To convince your manager that capture/replay software is a good investment,
make an argument that emphasizes:

-faster turnaround (time savings through automation)

-better quality (reliable & consistent performance of repetitious tasks)

-more consistent scheduling & pacing (if the script takes 1 hr. to run, you
know that no matter how many screens have changed, it'll take you no more
than 1 hr. to update the docs)

The odds are that your developers or testing department already have
capture/replay software that they use for testing the product. You might
want to talk to them first. They may be able to help you set up the
scripts. As for automated screen capture software, I'm not sure. The last
one I used was called ImageMagick (UNIX only?).

Best wishes,
Lindsey

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com