RE: Repetition in Procedures

Subject: RE: Repetition in Procedures
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 07:39:30 -0800 (PST)

------------------------------
Claire asked
Should I document this sub-procedure fully for the first instance only and cross-reference the user to this section for all other elements.

Or

Should I include the procedure in full every time it is required. I have already placed procedures that are identical for all elements at the beginning of the chapter and cross-referenced to that.
------------------------------

Is it electronic or print or other?
If it's electronic, I'd use cross-references like this.

1. Complete this step. (Click here for instructions on completing this step)
2. Paint the wangdoodle.
3. Click Save.

In our online help, we have a step that instructs the user to load a record in most of our how-tos. The step includes a link to a complete how-to that explains how to load records.

If it's print, I can see arguements for both of the options you asked about.......mmmmmmm. I suppose if the steps are exactly the same, then having a core set of steps separate from the others (with a cross-reference) would be fine. That way your users can start to internalize at least some of the steps and start to see how the product functions in similiar ways. mmmmmmm Yeah.

"And in the morning, I'm makin waffles." ~ Donkey
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you -at- yourchoice -dot- com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag