RE: prohibit printing

Subject: RE: prohibit printing
From: John Locke <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 27 Nov 2002 08:19:11 -0800

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 07:04, John Posada wrote:

> See the following link. If you try printing the page, the PDF does not
> print. Now, if the maximum security for the PDF was applied, which would
> disable all the buttons and commands, what could you do with it?
>
> http://help.sap.com/docuprint/print46b/en/data/en/htm/english.htm and click
> on Getting Started.

It prints just fine for me...

But then again, I opened it in KGhostview, in Linux. Acrobat isn't the
only software that can read a PDF. And, I doubt the other
buttons/commands could disable the buttons in KGhostview.

On the other hand, going to one of the ebook formats, either Microsoft
Reader, or the Adobe one, may give you some other protection, in that
they'll be unreadable (and useless) unless you use the only supported
software.

> In addition, if you served it up from an https server, wouldn't you prevent
> placing it to your local cache?

Nope...

HTTPS just encrypts the connection. Your browser still caches a local
copy to render the page. Depending on your browser & settings, this
local copy may get deleted when you close it, but at least while it's
open, it's on your hard drive.

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 07:32, Gordon Meyer wrote:

> Hmmm, and I tried their "sample page"
> (http://www.protecthtml.com/product/wp/sample31.htm) which supposedly
> is protected from text selection, printing, and several other options.
> I use OmniWeb (for Mac OS X) as my web browser, and the _only_
> protection that worked was their source encryption. Using Internet
> Explorer, source encryption and text selection worked correctly, but I
> was still able to print, right-click, etc. Harumph.

Interesting. I see the same results using Konqueror. I grabbed the page
using wget, but it was one big long encrypted string wrapped in a java
script tag. I could, however, easily print it and select text.

Cheers,
--
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com