Re: A sobering encounter (So now what?)

Subject: Re: A sobering encounter (So now what?)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:49:14 -0700

Steve wrote:

> OK, I'll ask the question. What value, then does the STC provide? Frankly,
> beyond the online job listings,
> I don't really *see* much value. Is the STC irrelevant?

This seems like a question better raised with the STC than with this board, which historically tries hard to remain agnostic to such organizations.

But stop to think about ANY professional organization. Is it the organization's job to educate the *general public*? Or is it the organization's job to serve and educate those who practice the specialty on which the organization is based, whether it's tech writing or macramé?

You do not find STC mags on the waiting room tables of dentists' offices, any more than you would find magazines aimed at commercial pilots, lumberjacks, or poodle breeders. These are niche organizations, in many cases far from the mainstream. Smell the coffee: tech writing is not the whole world's concern.

People are so quick to point fingers at the STC, but realistically what can you expect it to do? Its members consist ONLY of tech writers - it's not like we have tech writing fan clubs. Or tech writing groupies (but a man can dream)... What I'm saying is: tech writers have no advocates but themselves. There is no support organization of People Who Wish Tech Writers Were Having More Fun. The STC is not some governmental branch; it's just a bunch of tech writers who have chosen to get somewhat organized.

But it is not a powerful organization.

And - more important - it is not a union.

The things some of you seem to be crying out for it to do are the sort of things one looks to a union to accomplish. Yet I know many of you would NEVER join a union.

So what do you want? How do you expect it to influence the marketplace? It's just a group of tech writers, one that many of you are reluctant to join. Yet you wish it wielded more power. It won't. Particularly if you don't participate.

Again I say, if you want the marketplace to value the contributions of tech writers, start as an army of one - start by making the marketplace value YOU. And if we ALL do that, we CAN influence the marketplace.

Instead, it seems like many tech writers are sulking, whining about how we need to be appreciated. Think about how YOU react to somebody whining. Does it make you sympathize? Or does it make you wish that the person doing the whining would just go away?

Is the STC irrelevant? That's a question that can only be answered on a personal basis - is it relevant to you?

Me, I find some value in its publications. I enjoy attending an occasional meeting, and I think the salary survey is terrific. But I don't look to it to find me a job, or to protect my current job. That's MY responsibility.

Keith Cronin
Walk it off, son. Just walk it off.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com