Re: A sobering encounter (So now what?)

Subject: Re: A sobering encounter (So now what?)
From: Bil Gladstone <admin -at- bcnexus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 20:41:03 -0800

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:
<snip>
> Again I say, if you want the marketplace to value the contributions of tech writers, start as an army of one - start by making the marketplace value YOU. And if we ALL do that, we CAN influence the marketplace.
>
> Instead, it seems like many tech writers are sulking, whining about how we need to be appreciated. Think about how YOU react to somebody whining. Does it make you sympathize? Or does it make you wish that the person doing the whining would just go away?
<snip>

What we're talking about here is marketing. Marketing yourself -
marketing your product. It's like any small trade business. A guy might
be a great plumber, but if he opens a plumbing business for himself, his
tradecraft is almost irrelevant to business success.

Having acquired basic TW skills and knowledge (tools, products etc.),
the next set of skills learned ought to relate to marketing and self
promotion. If a group - STC or other - could offer a vehicle (or
education resources) for marketing the individual member, or the trade
generally, that would be valuable, IMHO.

Bil Gladstone

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com