Re: Tips and/or Suggestions for bidding on telecommute contracts & telephone interviews??

Subject: Re: Tips and/or Suggestions for bidding on telecommute contracts & telephone interviews??
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:02:56 -0800

potentially employed Sara-Sue from Canada asks:
> I was clearly told that copies of these
> docs could *not* be left with potential
> employers/prospective clients.
>
> My guess too is that, there will be some
> sort of telephone interview. Does anyone
> have any tips or suggestions . .

Fax or ship confidential docs to someone
local to them, and have them deliver the
docs to the potential employer with
instructions to wait for them to review
the docs and then take them away. Find
someone you can trust to hold to a contract
to perform this specific service, a lawyer,
private investigator, or another TW
(one who already has a job though!).

Another thought pops in mind. Use a tool
such as NetMeeting. Provide a copy to them,
and you can show your portfolio and be in
control of the materials. They could do a
screen copy as you show it, but it's
highly unlikely.

As for a phone interview, I've been in a few.
My current employer uses only phone interviews
for hiring temp employees. Find a comfortable,
quiet space, with room to lay out reference
materials. Live interviews make it difficult
for cheat sheets, phone interviews do. Have
everything you could possibly need at hand and
visible to you. Resume, references, job ad,
websites, stuff you have but not on a resume,
portfolio, etc. If you have a headset, use it,
so both hands are available to reach the doc
of interest. Be careful not to rustle papers
as some people are distracted by this.

Of course you have already done research on
the potential employer and have it all handy,
such as products, locations, policies, personnel,
whatever you can find in advance. You never know
what may come in handy. With multiple people on
the phone, allow more pause time before
responding for the other people to chime in.
You'll have to play it by ear (sorry, couldn't resist).

CB - now a perm with the same company
but a temp hair style
--
Surfy! http://www.surfy.net Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access