The Value of STC

Subject: The Value of STC
From: "Andrew Brooke" <ABrooke -at- ADVANCEDUTILITY -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:49:55 -0500

Steve Arrants asked:
"What value, then does the STC provide? Frankly, beyond the
online job listings, I don't really *see* much value. Is the STC
irrelevant?"

Even though I'm an active member of the STC, I think that's a very fair
question. Any STC member who is "offended" by that question is too
sensitive, in my humble opinion.

What value does the STC provide? Well, you can read their "official"
reasons at:

http://www.stc.org/PDF_Files/10reasons.pdf
http://www.stc.org/benefits.asp

I would say most of those reasons are pretty valid, but you'll have to
decide for yourself. I enjoy it mainly for the social reasons. Us tech
writers are quite a wacky bunch (in case you hadn't noticed). I can
honestly say it's a lot of fun meeting, chatting about our work and
other stuff, and trying to outdo each other in witty jokes. It's not
everyone's cup of java, though.

I would definitely make the point that no tech writer HAS to join the
STC to be successful. Your career will not be automagically elevated if
you join. Your pets WILL still talk to you if you're not a member. Life
does go on.

One of my pet peeves are people that overestimate or underestimate the
value of the STC.

Another pet peeve I have is with people that come into my room at night
and beat me senseless - that's quite annoying.

Cheers,

Andrew Brooke
abrooke -at- advancedutility -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com