RE: Programmers as writers?

Subject: RE: Programmers as writers?
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 09:55:59 +0100

I have worked with some programmers who are very good writers. But there is a level in technical writing to which very few programmers would want to go - unless of course they were responsible for tech writing and not programming. Consistency of style, grammar, usage, voice, etc. are things tech writers must pay attention to. While any programmer is able, by definition, to pay attention to most of that stuff (voice perhaps being the exception), few have the time to do it - they're paid to produce code after all. And of course there will be those who never bothered to learn good writing. But you'll find that type of person in any department - Marketing springs immediately to mind. (After all, who can resist a chance to take a poke at Marketing?)

I have worked with some tech writers who are pretty crappy writers. They were unable to focus their work, failed to grasp the underlying logic of a system, were overly dogmatic in their approach, unable to organize, unnecessarily baroque in their language (thereby proliferating convolutions posessed of a marked failure to eschew obfuscatory prosaicisms), etc. But durned if they didn't manage to make everything religiously procedural, followed the style guide to a "T", and met their deadlines. Of course, most tech writers at least think they have learned good writing, and will do their best to display it out of pride if for no other reason. That doesn't automatically mean they can write better than programmers.

Writers/programers... In today's world there are many divisions of labor. Some make sense and others don't. But I agree if you're saying this one does.

On 19 Nov 2002, at 19:23, Mike Stockman wrote:
"I would expect most good programmers to also be good at writing."
Huh - what planet do you live on?

:-)

Seriously, I would hate to generalize about programmers (or any other
group) either positively or negatively about their writing ability. But
I recently gave a talk about writing documentation for developers (which
I do full time) and tried to make the point, somewhat tongue-in-cheek,
that programmers are from another planet. They are concerned about (and
good at) code, objects, modules, classes, functions, etc. As tech
writers, we are concerned about language, content, words, documents,

[snip!]

clarity, presentation, etc.

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com