RE: Unionizing?

Subject: RE: Unionizing?
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:09:23 -0500

Until BOTH companies can set up offshore, and close out
the costly factories... or, at least outsource to
sub-contractors who have lower costs to pass along.
That choice, of course, depends on whether the union
has gotten a contract clause that forbids outsourcing.

Of course, there are other factors, too, such as how
much people value freedom, flexibility and responsibility
in their jobs. Also, there are necessarily a limited number
of positions at the unionized shop, so it's not like they
can take ALL the potential workers. The ones they don't
get will tend to be the innovative, self-starters.

Also, how true is your observation for skilled trades,
as opposed to assembly-line jobs at which you can
become ultimately skilled in a week and a half?

But really, your argument is much like the argument
of people who favor minimum wage laws. It looks
good until you think a bit.

"Oh joy! The poor people will now get more money
for the work they do. They will be so much better off!"

Sure they will... for a few months.
Then, market forces will set in.
When companies have to pay more for the lowest-paid
(read "least-skilled", "most-commoditized") work,
they have no choice but to pass on the increased
costs, or to reduce costs elsewhere.

If they pass on the costs, prices go up. In short order,
the "raise" that the government gave to poor people is
eaten by a higher cost of goods and services.

If the companies elect to cut costs, they have certain
options --- relating directly to your point about
union wages:

1) The higher the labor costs, the greater the incentive
to either outsource or automate... if it was marginally
expensive to invest in a machine to do that job before,
the new price of workers just made it viable to find a
robot replacement.

2) If the floor-sweepers are employed because it is
worth having them, instead of paying more skilled
people to also do their own sweeping, then as soon
as the floor-sweepers' wages are artificially jacked
up to the rate of the second-lowest-paid people in
the shop, the floor-sweepers have just become expendable.
Management trims the floor-sweeper jobs and spreads
the menial work among the remaining people, since
there is no longer an economic advantage to having
dedicated floor-sweepers.

Or, more to the point... management decides that
maybe those expensive engineers CAN start doing
the user documents, now that the unionized tech writers
cost so much...

So, the net result of wages driven artificially high
is:

-- a brief period of being ahead of the pack, until
the pack and the prices of everything necessarily
catch up... in fact, the sooner the hike becomes
widespread, the sooner it drives prices up

-- fewer people actually employed, putting more people
on unemployment insurance and welfare.

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com