RE: Unionizing?

Subject: RE: Unionizing?
From: "Mike Bradley" <mbradley -at- techpubs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:01:34 -0800

> Ok, the main arguements I'm hearing for unions is:
>
> Better pay
> Better benefits
> Better working conditions

I know what you mean. Every time I walk into a government office, public
library, school, or old-line factory, I'm shocked to see how decrepit
the place looks, compared to the places where we work. It's kind of
embarassing.

Still, there's a small unionizing campaign among IBM employees over age
discrimination. The travails and ultimate victories of contractors at
Microsoft who were reclassified as employees by the IRS are pretty well
known. And in the Writers Union, there's hardly a writer in any genre
who doesn't benefit from having his or her writing contract reviewed by
a union contract advisor, even authors who are represented by agents.

= Mike Bradley
Tech Pubs

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com