RE: Unionizing?

Subject: RE: Unionizing?
From: "Mike Bradley" <mbradley -at- techpubs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:22:26 -0800

> Remember the Arnold Schwartzenegger movie "Pumping Iron"?
> The scene where Arnie has come to America and gotten
> a warehouse job to keep himself fed while he trains
> for the Universe (or was it Olympia?) contest, and
> he's getting his chops busted by union workers who are
> angry that he's showing them up by working too hard?
>
> That scene was taken from life. I was no Arnold as
> a youngster, but I was eager and hard-working, and
> was taken aside more than once by old union hands
> in a couple of my summer jobs, who didn't want me
> making them look lazy. That was in warehouses (Canfor,
> if anybody has heard of it) and in a pulp mill.
> My brother hit the same kind of thing when he worked
> in the mines.

Heck, this has nothing to do with unions. Most of us have run into this
sort of thing whether we were in unionized jobs or not. You know,
talking about unions is a lot like talking about government. They can be
awful, they can be a godsend. The key issue, for me, is the core values
and fundamental purposes.

= Mike Bradley
Tech Pubs

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com