Re: perception of user experience levels

Subject: Re: perception of user experience levels
From: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:07:36 -0600

Saen Hower wrote:
> Lately, I've been noticing that some of the SMEs I work with assume
our
> clients are experienced users who, if they're worth what they're
getting paid,
> should already understand many of the intricacies of our product. Our
trainers
> say that many of our users have never used a computer before. I find
this
> contradiction interesting, if not annoying when I'm trying to get
information
> from the SMEs.
>
> Anyone else run into this contradiction?

Have I ever. I ran into this in my first TW job. My position, then as
now, was that I wanted to write for the users we had, not the users we
"should" have had.

My favorite SMEs are support folks who talk to actual users every day
(kindly and patiently, that is).

Christine

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com