Re: FW: best practices for factory worker/plant personnel documentation

Subject: Re: FW: best practices for factory worker/plant personnel documentation
From: DaveC <peninsula -at- covad -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:41:11 -0800

What's the best format to use when documenting operating procedures inside a
plant? Would workers read a manual? Would you recommend setting up a kiosk
where workers could access the most recent operating procedures via an
Intranet? Should the operating procedures be printed out and mounted on the
wall?

In some circles these references are called "Job Aids" because they are close at hand for the person performing the job.

Are these procedures that the employees are familiar with? Are these simply "what has changed in the process, today?" updates you want to convey? Or are these "I'm a new employee and they told me to come and read this to find out how to do this procedure"? In other words, what will be the experience level of the target audience?

How critical are the procedures ("Attach widget A to widget B using screw C"? "Align plutonium pellet with detonator pin"?)

How complex (quite a relative term, I know) are the procedures?

How many different procedures are there?

In general I find that graphics (illustrations with arrows) have the broadest appeal and highest "information conveyance" efficiency (ie, fewest "stoned deer in the headlights" looks).

Dave

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com