RE: I/internet

Subject: RE: I/internet
From: Valerie Priester <hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:38:51 -0500

--On Monday, December 30, 2002 12:52 PM -0600 "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com> wrote:

Better yet - randomly convert characters to upper-case. "First, make sure
you are connected to the inTernEt. This is where you will find the uSer
maNuals."

Tell the PHB group that it is part of the new branding and "adds visual
interest and excitement".

For some reason, the phrase "adds visual interest and excitement" is akin
to a shiny object. Further, it promotes speed-typing without that awful
and tedious chore, editing.

Please. Don't even go there. Not even in jest. We have a group here that's what you would call our marketing arm. They successfully pushed through a name for a project -- "iConnect -at- UB". Note the visual interest and excitement that the lowercase i and uppercase C bring here. Do you know how evil it is to have the at symbol in a website? They ended up putting a redirect at our requrest, and when we referenced it we used the alternate URL. That wasn't flashy enough, apparently. They had a big, wide oval to dot the i in the logo, and it didn't have transparency around the corners of the image they'd made to form the dot. They re-designed the logo, using an i with an eye forming the dot. The color palette? Orange, pea green, fuchsia, and sky blue. This year they jettisoned sky blue and fuchsia in favor of a soft indigo and periwinkle. Yes, with the pea and orange. (How's that for visual excitement?) None of these are the school colors, incidentally.

Valerie Priester
hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com