RE: I/internet

Subject: RE: I/internet
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:16:03 -0700

I guess it depends on how you view the evolution of language. Should it be
based on how the Great Unwashed use it, or should it be based on rules
created by Those Who Know Best?

In my experience, the only people who pay attention to whether or not
Internet or Web are capitalized are professional writers and editors. I've
always capitalized these words, but that's because I'm a pro writer and
I've been told to do so by reference books and style guides.

But most everybody else I correspond with uses "web" and "internet," and I
confess that I'm hard pressed to object. After all, there are no clarity
issues - it's immediately apparent what they are referring to.

So maybe this rule needs to go the way of the
no-prepositions-at-the-end-of-a-sentence rule. That would be fine with me.
While it's at it, I hope it takes the
you-can't-use-plural-pronouns-as-non-sexist-singular-pronouns rule along
with it!

But let's not lose the no-mixing-plaids rule, please. That rule is in
place for a reason - somebody could lose an eye or something!

Keith Cronin

If thine enemy offend thee, give his child a drum.
- unknown

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com