RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 12:01:06 -0500

Deb asked:

> As a technical communicator, what is your top resolution
> for 2003?
>
> * Improve writing skills
> * Learn a new technology (e.g., C, ASP, XML)
> * Learn a new tool (e.g., Frame, Dreamweaver)
> * Learn a new skill (e.g., indexing)
> * Participate more in professional activities
> * Improve relations with boss, coworkers, SMEs, etc.
> * Find a better balance of work and personal time
> * Get a job or get a new job
> * Change careers
> * Other/none of the above

My resolutions are for fiscal 2003, so I'm already several months into the
year :>

As for the question itself, I'd have to say "Other," simply because no
single item in the list describes my choice adequately. My resolution? To
help build the business. Ambitious? Maybe. Unreasonable? Not at all.
Expected, as a member of the company? Absolutely. The only real question
is "how."

My obvious contribution is to provide customers with information that is
more readable, more suitable, more accessible, and more usable. However,
that isn't my only mandate. I'm also part of the marketing team, so I work
on print ads, press releases, Web content and graphics. As well, other
assorted technical- and communication-related tasks cross my desk, sometimes
because someone needs to do them, sometimes because I can, and sometimes to
give me a new challenge. These things present plenty of room for
professional development.

It's all good.

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at pixelink.com
http://www.pixelink.com/

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
personality, and an obnoxious one at that.
-- me, after a stare-down with Word 2000

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com