Re: Is the economy improving?

Subject: Re: Is the economy improving?
From: "Gary Robinson" <GXR -at- ddpmi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 13:49:19 -0500

Compared to last year, definitely. In SE Michigan, the auto companies, a major source of employment for TWs here, have started to hire again. This is the first time since the massacre of 11/01! They are playing hardball on price. A friend of mine was offered an auto company position which he had held before. They wanted him to come back at a fraction of the pay he was making when he last worked for them.

I am seeing 3-4 non-automotive listings a month as compared to zero listings a year ago. That's for an area from Detroit to Lansing. One trend I've noticed is that several of the most recent listings are for insurance companies. I am currently contracted to a dental insurance company and have had a Canadian health insurance company as a client in the past. Both were/are running large, in-house software development projects. It appears that the insurance industry might be more recession proof than other industries in SE Michigan.

Regards,

Gary G. Robinson
Technical Communications Consultant
Pillar Technology Group, LLC
www.pillartechnology.com

>>> "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com> 01/07/03 11:32AM >>>

Or am I just lucky?

I have received two unsolicited job interview offers in the last 24 hours,
and was offered a job that I interviewed for last August. Maybe the tech
writing world is thawing out again...

Diane Evans
Technical Writer who is very happy with her current job, even though the
offer was for nearly twice she is earning now

Washington State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/washing.html

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com