Re: Perks (was phone interview)

Subject: Re: Perks (was phone interview)
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:03:07 -0700

I must admit that "where do folks go for lunch around here" would
not be a question on my mind during an interview, if I were trying to
find out more about corporate culture. At nearly every job I've
applied for I have mentioned that I prefer to come in late/work late,
and eat at my desk, and asked if anyone would have a problem with
that. But that's to see if the company is flexible enough to meet *my*
needs -- if they aren't, I don't want to work there.

For the record, most people here eat at their desks. However, this is
one of the best places I have ever worked. I base that statement on
the fact that I get the tools I need to do my job, have a great working
relationship with others in the company (including the engineers),
and get respect for a job well done. The work is interesting, varied,
and challenging, and I have a lot of latitude to work on my own. If I
need to leave in the middle of the day for a doc appt., or even to
take Snoopy-cat to the vet, I can.

The difficult part is asking the real questions that you want to know,
and getting a truthful answer. If you ask, will I get the tools to do my
job, of course the answer is going to be "yes". If you ask, can I
expect to have cooperation and respect from my colleagues, the
answer will be "yes".

It's often impossible to judge the important issues of a job until
you're there, and then, in a sense, it is "too late". But finding out how
financially stable the company is, whether or not they have had lay
offs, whether they promote from within, management styles, etc.,
may help to provide an indication of whether the corporate culture
will be a fit with your needs.

2 cents,
Dana W.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com