Re: Gender roles - was coolest thing

Subject: Re: Gender roles - was coolest thing
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:27:56 -0500

I remember watching a TV show on this study, it was probably _The Nature of Things_, a CBC science program hosted by Dr. David Suzuki. One woman in particular was holding and cuddling a "girl" and speaking softly, encouraging the baby (about 10-11 months old, I think) to sit quietly in her arms. IIRC, the women playing with the "boys" got down on the floor with them to play with the "boy toys" and be rambunctious. The girls seemed to enjoy it quite a bit.

I think this was shown in the late 1980s. Sorry I can't remember more about it, but it was definitely British.

HTH.

From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" >At 8:24 AM +0000 1/10/03, Damien Braniff wrote:
Gender is something that is deeply ingrained (no matter what we think). A program here in the UK has been following a group of children (from various social/economic etc backgrounds) from birth onward.

Do you have any information about the study? I'd be interested in the organization doing the study and any citations for published papers or articles.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com