Re: First Jobs that Grow into Careers as Technical Writers

Subject: Re: First Jobs that Grow into Careers as Technical Writers
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:22:12 +1000

John Cabral wrote,

I'm interested in starting a career as a technical writer... I'm
wondering what types of positions (especially entry-level) are effective
starting points for such a career.... what type of job
titles I should be considering as opportunities to develop those skills.

A little about me: I'm a recent Ph.D. in philosophy (graduated in July
2002) and have decided against pursuing a career as an academic. I have
lots of experience as an instructor and have designed distance education
courses.

With your background, I'd be looking for any company that provides training materials and/or instructors, either for its own products or for others' products. These materials could be online or on-paper, self-paced or classroom... whatever... even online help not specifically called "training" or "tutorial." Usability is another area that your skills might fit into. Just what job titles these might be, I don't know. You might try some searches on job boards, using terms like "instructor" or "trainer" or "usability" (along with, perhaps "software," "entry level," "trainee," "intern," or "assistant") and see what turns up; from there you might get some ideas of what recruiters and companies call these positions.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/