Re: Deadlines

Subject: Re: Deadlines
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 06:09:11 -0700

Paul wrote:

> Ah. I adopt a different working model, which is one reason why I have trouble
> making deadlines: The manuscript will be done when I'm satisfied with it, and
> not before.
>
> That requires, of course, editors who are willing to drink Maalox and
> explain to *their* superiors why I'm not done yet. And my prinicple
> isn't completely absolute, in the sense that I'll *try* to make my
> deadlines and sometimes end up throwing out material in order not to
> make the manuscript even later than it already is.

Wow - I have a hard time picturing an environment where such behavior is
acceptable. Certainly you can't be part of a conventional doc team,
cranking out doc in snych with product releases?

If that model works for you, great. I'm curious as to your work situation
- are you a lone author of tech books, as one poster has surmised? Or in
some other scenario where essentially you are the boss?

In the context of my job and my team, I'd fire anybody with that approach.

Keith Cronin
If thine enemy offend thee, give his child a drum.
- unknown

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com