Re: Unexpected as always!!

Subject: Re: Unexpected as always!!
From: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:18:35 -0600

>"Please arrange a session ASAP for both programmers and QC
> about abbreviating, capitalizing, punctuation, and the sort."

And after that, will the programmers arrange a session for you and QC
about programming? </irony>

First, consider what audience the programmers and QC are writing for.

* If the programmers and QC are writing things and their audience is
just you (or each other), it's important that they be able to convey
necessary information *accurately* -- but they should not be required to
convey it with flawless capitalization, punctuation, and so on.

* If they're writing things for an external audience (end users, for
instance)... they shouldn't be. That's what tech writers are for. If
they're making mistakes in interface text, arrange to (1) review the
requirements document that specifies the text in the interface and then
(2) proofread the interface when it's ready.

> . . . neither the developers or the QC officers will ever listen.. and
I will
> be going through the same mistakes in interface and demo data..

You can correct those mistakes a lot more efficiently than they can. Try
to be patient with them. If you're getting the opportunity to catch the
mistakes and have them fixed, that's a good thing.

In my experience, my subject matter experts have been support people,
not programmers, but the concept is the same. I don't want them
agonizing over punctuation, capitalization, grammar, or page layout.
It's a much more efficient use of their time to have them give me a
rough document, especially since I'm going to rebuild it from start to
finish (or use it only for my own information) even if they *do*
struggle to make it grammatically perfect. If it's interface text, all I
want is a chance to review the interface early enough that we can fix
the mistakes.

Christine

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com