Re: Unexpected as always!!

Subject: Re: Unexpected as always!!
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:21:18 -0700

On 13 Jan 2003 at 14:57, Radwa Darwish wrote:

> "Please arrange a session ASAP for both programmers and QC about
> abbreviating, capitalizing, punctuation, and the sort.
> As simple as it may sound, it will save us a lot of precious time.

MicroSoft Press's "The Windows Interface Guidelines for Software
Design" is a good place to look for standards. There are sections
that recommend capitalization, punctuation, etc., for the different
components in a software GUI.

It shouldn't be too overwhelming of a task to pull this information
from the book, compile a handout of a "list of rules" that you can
review in the training and everyone can take back to their desks,
and you can later put the info on the intranet or whatever avenue
your organization uses for dissemination of information.

Some may balk at using MS's standards -- whether it is for writing
user documentation or for developing interfaces. However, I have
tried to stick with these for two reasons: first, why re-invent the
wheel, and second, users are familiar with these methods.

I believe you can find much of MS's Interface Guidelines on line at
their MSDN library site.

Dana W.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com