RE: using a slogan on a resume

Subject: RE: using a slogan on a resume
From: Keith Cronin <kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:09:00 -0500

I'm looking at these ideas from the viewpoint of somebody who screens
resumes, which I do (or did, back when my company was growing). From that
mindset, I'd find most such slogans either cheesy or boastful - maybe both.
In short, they would make me MORE skeptical about the applicant, which I
think is the opposite of the desired result. YMMV.

When I submit a resume, I don't want to alienate anybody. I want in the
door. So I play it pretty straight.

After I get in, they'll find out I'm a smart -at- ss -dot- But I prefer to think of
that fact as my creamy nougat center, which they won't get to until my
creamy outer milk-chocolate coating melts in their mouths (to mangle a
metaphor/ad campaign).

-Keith Cronin
Better living through siglines

Bruce wrote:

Why not for an individual? A couple of people have privately expressed a
similar viewpoint. One said that a resume is a marketing document that
shouldn't look like a marketing document. Yet many contractors are
incorporated, or at least registered as a sole proprietorship, so they
are a business. The idea would be more unusual for someone who regularly
takes full-time jobs, but maybe the very fact that it's unusual would
count in its favor. After all, the point of a resume is to be noticed -
notice favorably, that is.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com