MSWord droWSM ?

Subject: MSWord droWSM ?
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:23:59 -0500

For the Friday file...
One of our developers went through a setup process,
and very helpfully recorded the console text from
both Client and Server. She went even further and
color coded. Wonderful!

She saved it as a .doc file and sent it to me, bless
her little heart.

OK, y'know how testers and developers, who frequently
repeat configurations, have their pet ways of entering
standard data? Like, some people write "drowssaP"
when they need a sample Password, and "tneilC" when
they need to supply a Client name...

A whole bunch of that stuff was making the reading
really, really difficult for me. Maybe my blood-sugar
was low. Finally I gave up and took the printout
to her, asking that she sit with me and highlight
the salient bits.... her eyes crossed and her face
flushed and she uttered a bunch of "What the f---!".

To make a long story longer, when we opened the same
document in Wordpad, rather than Word, suddenly it
all looked just as it was supposed to. She had NOT,
in fact, used cutesy backward spellings anywhere.
Word had neatly reversed dozens of words throughout
the document, transposed PORTIONS of sentences, and
done other nifty manipulations.

This was Word 2000, and we still use Win NT, so the
Wordpad version is that old. She had originally
composed in Wordpad

Anybody else ever run into this? It had me chasing my
tail for most of the morning, wondering why my head
wasn't working.

I feel much better, now that the drugs have kicked in.

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com