RE: Assembly Language (was RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on his resume)

Subject: RE: Assembly Language (was RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on his resume)
From: "Brad Jensen" <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:42:39 -0600

> Diane Evans wrote:
> >
> > And sometimes, even legitimate degrees don't mean a lot. I have a
> > degree in
> > Mathematics(Computer Science Emphasis). Which means that
> in 1986 I spent a
> > whole lot of time (12 credit hours) taking otherwise
> unrelated classes that
> > were only offered to non-computer-science-majors. The
> coursework was done
> > on VAX computers, using Assembly language, FORTRAN, Pascal,
> and Modula II.
>
> This still gives you the right to say "I was programming in
> assembly language
> while you were still in short pants, buddy!" to an uppity,
> wet-behind-the-ears,
> too lofty to document his own code developer prodigy some day.

Yeah, but by 1986 it wasn't REAL Assembler, it was
all full of macros and other such trendy stuff.

REAL Assembler is one code word, one machine language instruction.

And Pascal? The language invented to keep programmers from making
mistakes (and then they have to violate the language constraints
to do anything useful.)

When I learned programming, we started by
wiring together shift registers and coding in octal.

I still remember seeing my first CRT (and patching the OS to
handle the 30 characters per second speed).

My degree is in Philosophy/Religion and Psychology, although I have
24 hours in CS courses (there was no Computer Science
Department or major back then).

Brad Jensen
www.eufrates.com Easy elearning from your PowerPoint presentations
www.seemyscreen.com Web based conferencing that doesn't cost and arm and