Re: Are you a "Mental Gymnast"?

Subject: Re: Are you a "Mental Gymnast"?
From: "Gary S. Callison" <huey -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:33:18 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com (Maggie Pierce Secara) revived the
Monty Hall question thusly:

> Pretend you are on a game show where you need to
> choose between three doors to win a prize...
> *********
> Kind of an interesting twist on the same old thing,
> isn't it.
> They're also hiring at least one writer, who isn't
> asked to play this game, although it might be cool to
> do it anyway. Presumably there's no "right" answer.

There is a right answer. It's in the rec.puzzles FAQ
(<http://mneylon.masemware.com/puzzles/faq.txt> and scroll down to
question 2.4) and comes back like a bad penny every once-a-year or so in
the usenet newsgroup alt.fan.cecil-adams.

> Thoughts?

As far as a resume-collecting stunt goes, I'd probably roundfile anyone
who couldn't use Google too, although there's certainly easier ways. You
could set up a googlewhack, or hide some bit of data somewhere on your own
webpage, and then ask a question about that specific piece of data, just
to see who is doing their homework before mailing the envelope.

It's sometimes possible to give that impression in the absence of a
silly question, though. I once found the name of a company's HR director
in the metadata of a document on their webpage, addressed my cover
letter directly to her, and then introduced myself to her at a resume
fair. In a room full of people with cover letters that said "Dear Sir" or
"ATTN: HR department", I had one that said "ATTN: Mary so-and-so". Makes
it jump out of the pile a little.

--
Huey

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com