Re: Re: Are you a "Mental Gymnast"?

Subject: Re: Re: Are you a "Mental Gymnast"?
From: Kevin Montgomery <robertm -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:36:41 -0800

Well... Assuming that each door has an equal probability, 33.3%, of having
the prize, then here's the approach. Set 1, containing the door you
selected, has a 33.3% probability of having the prize. Set 2, containing
the other two doors, has a 33.3% + 33.3% = 66.6% probability of containing
the prize. When the host indicates that one door in Set 2 does not contain
the prize, the set still maintains its 66.6% probability, but is now down
to one member. Therefore, you should switch to the other door because it
has twice the probability of having the prize.

Then again, that's stupid because you still have two doors and,
intuitively, the probability is the same for both.

That's why I like first-person shooters...

- Kevin

At 02:57 PM 1/21/2003 -0800, Maggie Pierce Secara wrote:

>Hey gang, speaking of resume and interview issues as
>we have been, I found this in the application
>instructions for a company near me. It's not for
>everyone, but if you're applying for a software
>development position, they ask you to look at this the
>following, and send your answer in with the resume.
>
>*******
>
>Mental Gymnast Workout

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com