Re: small invoices, big egos

Subject: Re: small invoices, big egos
From: Kevin Montgomery <robertm -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:56:56 -0800

I once had a law firm as a customer with an unpaid invoice for several hundred dollars (for deposition summarizing). They were very cordial about it, but refused to pay me because their client hadn't paid them. I said I had little recourse but to go to small claims court. My customer agreed, gave me some advice on presenting in small claims court, and wished me well. I filed a claim with the court, showed up on the determined date and displayed my invoices and a log of my collection efforts, and received a favorable judgement. My customer did not show up for the proceeding. I took the judgement back to the customer's office, and they immediately and cheerfully cut me a check for my invoice.

There were obviously factors in play that I was unaware of.

- Kevin

At 05:16 PM 1/22/2003 -0800, Bil Gladstone wrote:

Bruce Byfield wondered:
> Why is it that the smaller the invoice, the harder the time collecting?
~~

A small creditor has a tiny little hammer. You're not going to lien his
business for $200. You're not going to take him to Small Claims Court.
He likely thinks of the docs, or whatever you produced, as incidental or
redundant to his overall business activities. You = gnat (sorry)

Turn the receivable over to collections. You = mosquito = better chance
of getting his attention and payment.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com