RE: The Lone Writer

Subject: RE: The Lone Writer
From: "Carolee Ketelaar" <carolee -at- ketelaar -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:12:58 -0500

Dave C. wonders if he should accept a sole-writership at a web-based
software startup
company at $35/hour. His "old" rate was twice this and he's feeling
resentful toward management that can't (won't?) offer a reasonable rate,
which may be more like $50/hour.

He says: "I'm leaning more toward passing this by. There's nothing worse
than
knowing that you're being taking advantage of by clients and working
among them.

Anyone want to help me with my dilemma?"

Dave--

$35/hour is barely a living wage in most parts of the country. I can't
imagine how it can be a viable wage in the SF Bay Area, where the cost of
living is high. Also, underpricing your services hurts you financially both
in the short-term and in the long-term and hurts other contractors in your
area who are trying to secure decent hourly rates.

I don't agree with other posters who have advised you to just get over your
resentment and accept the work at the $35/hour rate (although those doing
the hiring would probably like that suggestion). Take some positive action.
Have you tried to negotiate a higher rate with this prospect? Maybe you can
salvage the situation, assuming you want the work.

They've evidently decided you're the best person for the job since they've
offered it to you. Now you need to convince them you're more qualified at
$50/hour (or whatever you decide is reasonable) than someone who charges a
lower rate. If they're inexperienced, as a lot of start-ups are, you may
need to do some education about rates for technical writers in your area.

If they don't agree to your rate, then try another tactic, similar to what
Stephen Arrants suggested: offer to work for them for some period of time at
the $35/hour rate. If they want you to continue to work there after that
time, they will then have to pay you $50/hour. Obviously, you'd have this
written into your contract with them. And yes, then you'd want to do a
terrific job and make yourself irreplaceable.

If they don't go for this (and you've decided you can afford to pass this
opportunity up), wish them luck and ask them to keep you in mind if the
situation changes. Then move on. You might want to call them back in a month
or two. Who knows--maybe they'll need another writer or have another
project. Or, maybe that lower-priced writer didn't work out.

You have valuable services to offer. Determine a reasonable rate for those
services. Have the confidence to unapologetically quote this rate to
prospects and the willingness to negotiate for it. You may not always get
it, but you certainly won't if you don't try.

Good luck.

Carolee Ketelaar

CK Technical Communications
Pittsburgh, PA