RE: Rates (was The Lone Writer)

Subject: RE: Rates (was The Lone Writer)
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:25:33 -0000

Thanks for this. I used the poll because it was the only indicator I
could find of Web publishing skills among tech writers. In truth,
there's a lot more to Web publishing these days than editing HTML, but
that's a whole other conversation. I'd still argue that less than half
of technical writers, without further training or practice, could
capably put together a professional-looking Web site. Call me a
dot-commie, but I think that number should be 100%. But then I think
that every company on the planet should have a Web site, so that colours
my opinion.

The other reason tech writers should have a Web site (whether or not
it's got an online portfolio on it) is simply as advertising. Believe it
or not, I was recently contracted to write a white paper for a start-up.
How did they find me? They typed "technical writer Ireland" into Google
and I was the first result. This doesn't happen very often, and
particularly not in Ireland where everybody gets jobs because of their
brother's friend's nephew's dog-walker, but it does happen. Thanks. DB.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com