Re: What's with colo[u]r anyway?

Subject: Re: What's with colo[u]r anyway?
From: "Gregory Sweet" <Gsweet -at- cdphp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:33:45 -0500

Probably becuase the printer needs to do 4 times the amout of work to print your color page as opposed to your b&w pages. Assuming of course that all of your colors fall into the CMYK gamut and don't require additional spots.

For instance, a project I'm curently working on has CMYK + 4 flourescent spot colors +1 white flood spot (it's a CD) There fore the printer needs to make 9 seperations and apply 9 separate inks to the final product. So in this case rougly 7 times more work needs to be done (a CD requires a white flood for any color to work correctly)

Plus if you're not doing the impositon the printer will need to pay someone to do the seperations. Multiply that by the number of color graphics/elements you have. The the printer needs to pay someone to make sure the seperations are lining up correctly as your work comes off the press.

-Greg

neart - misneach - diongbháilteacht

>>> Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com> 01/31/03 02:18PM >>>
*Yet it is still prohibitively expensive to use
colo[u]r in a manual at less than 50,000 copies.

Why is that?

/kevin (pouting)

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com