Re: Tree View Terminology

Subject: Re: Tree View Terminology
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:30:45 -0700

> Also, what does everyone call the information that appears in the right
pane
> as a result of clicking a node (level? folder?) in the left pane? If you
> click "Widget" in the navigation pane, then the information associated
with
> the Widget appears in the right pane. Is that information the Widget
screen?
> Is the right pane a "screen?"

Generally, we call it the Detail block or Detail section.

And why is there a need to add an extra word to Treeview (Directory
Treeview, Navigational Treeview)? Sure, they really aren't "trees," but
once the name is established in your documentation, why is there a need for
the extra jargon?

If I have a complaint about treeviews it's that they often take up a heck of
a lot of real estate on the screen - they're basically a file locating
system and often have little to do with actually running the software. This
is different than the functionality of Windows Explorer, which is not only
used for searches but also for file and folder management.

They seem more a fad than a logical location method.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com