RE: credit check for interviews

Subject: RE: credit check for interviews
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:13:41 -0700

According to a company that sells the service (Background Checks
International, LLC.)

"Credit Checks Provides confirmation of name, address, and social security
number as well as an applicant's credit history. Credit Reports confirm the
facts and reveal the unknown. There is a wealth of information that can be
inferred on an applicant, such as trustworthiness, stability and
responsibility, while the report provides evidence of debt, garnishments,
child support, bankruptcy and judgments. This is a pre-employment PEER
report and does not appear as an inquiry on a person's subsequent credit
reports."

But my take on this is: if you're going to consider a candidate for a 'more
senior' position, and that person has a few hundred Thousand in unsecured
dept - then he might be worth passing over - for numerous reasons (will he
focus at work, will he get lots of telephone interruptions, will he make
unethical decisions to max his bonus, etc.).

Unfortunately, some HR departments see to it, that this tool is implemented
across the board, for one reason, or another (though often legal cover - for
discrimination suits). My belief is that one person, upon seeing a mold in
the corner of the office, would spray only the mold. Someone else might only
feel satisfied once the whole office was sprayed. Who was right? Only time
Could have told. I think the same thing is happening with the use of
credit-checks, as well.

Here's a few sites that explain their point of view:

http://hr.monster.com/articles/credit/
http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs16-bck.htm
http://www.noworkviolence.com/articles/screening_out_workplace.pdf

Hope this helps,

Bruce

Jan Henning wrote:

<snip>
> And the question that has been posed repeatedly in this discussion
> remains to be answered satisfactorily: What does a credit check tell a
> hiring employer? Leaving aside especially security-sensitive areas, is
> an employer going to pass on a candidate that looks a good fit
> otherwise (and only those candidates are going to be checked anyway)
> because of a bad credit history?
<snip>

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com