Re: What's with colo[u]r anyway? [wrap-up]

Subject: Re: What's with colo[u]r anyway? [wrap-up]
From: Tom Galloway <tyg -at- panix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:46:14 -0500 (EST)

>Might someone invent a radically cheaper way to get high-quality images
>onto short run print jobs? Who's to say? But I wouldn't hold my breath
>waiting for the bottom to fall out of paper or toner prices.

Depends on how long you can hold your breath. I fully expect that within the
decade what's variously called e-paper, electronic paper, or e-ink will
become commonly available for black and white at at least 300 dpi
resolution.

To summarize, e-paper consists of pages of a material that, when hooked
up to a power source and a data source, reformat black or white "pixels"
to display the data. The beauty of this is that when you unhook a book
made of sheets of this material from the power/data sources, it acts
just like paper in that the content stays on the page. So you can take
it to the beach, read it on the toilet, etc. Then when you want different
content, you plug it back in to the power and data sources and it changes
the display to the new content.

It combines the best display aspects of a paper book with the best compact
data storage of computers (along with extra customized display bits; getting
older? Set your default display font to 18. Etc.).

tyg tyg -at- panix -dot- com

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com