RE: XML DTD and XSLs for ISO-9000

Subject: RE: XML DTD and XSLs for ISO-9000
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:01:18 -0600

At 1:03 PM +1100 2/6/03, Sean Wheller wrote:

> Look to your industry to find DTDs, or at DocBook.
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

Scott Turner

Hello Scott,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am aware that ISO does not address the
format of documentation. However, I was hoping that some kind sole may have
used XML as the basis for developing ISO documents. Thereby, either knowing
of a DTD, or has created a DTD and XSL for this purpose. High hopes perhaps,
but I think that if there is a standard out there, then I would prefer to
follow it.

I already use DocBook XML DTD for other documents, but there are certain ISO
specific parts that the DocBook element vocabulary does not address.
However, modifying DocBook will mean that it is no longer DocBook. I think
the result would be ISO-XML. Anyway, I was already thinking to use DocBook
as the basis, a starting point for development of an ISO-XML DTD. Maybe this
could be an extension/subset app to DocBook like Website and Slides.

This route would be better that building a DTD and XSLs from scratch.

Any other input/ideas welcomed.

Sean Wheller

In addition try the following links

ftp://ftp.th-darmstadt.de/pub/text/sgml/DTD
http://xml.coverpages.org/xml.html
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/gov-apps.html (includes MIL-SPEC DTDs)
http://www.xmlxperts.com/12083.htm (Diane Kennedy's Page on XML DTDs)

In general, you will not find one that is free, in my opinion. You will probably need to create one for your use.
The ISO entity is not in the market to provide free items like this, though they might if their members desired it.
Scott

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com