RE: Technical Writing Tests

Subject: RE: Technical Writing Tests
From: "Robert Wisbey" <robert-wisbey -at- scitech-consultants -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:19:01 +0100

If you use a writing test, then use it to determine potential bad traits
that you want ironed out from the start. Don't pay too much attention to
the writing test, but more on other factors. I think it is better to
reveal from interview if the potential technical writer possess the
following (and depends on the level of experience you are after):

- ability to learn technical concepts quickly
- is organised in the way they work
- is not afraid to ask questions
- will fit within your working environment
- has a general enthusiasm for the role of a technical writer
- is familiar with your technology (if they are not a newbie)

I could go on, but the point is the writing test should only really be
seen as an aid (with low weighting) to determine their competence as a
writer.

When I came out of academia and got into technical writing I never had a
writing test. If I had a writing test I assume people would have
concluded that I could write, but that I had bad habits like using
superfluous expressions such as "on this hand, on the other hand", which
tend to be accepted in journal papers.

With Well Wishes,

Rob Wisbey.
http://www.robertwisbey.com